Tour Code: CHT-DA-3
11-Days Beijing, Xi`an, Chongqing, Yangtze, Yichang and Shanghai Tour )
Marvels – new and ancient present themselves on every day as you visit places like the Great Wall, the Forbidden City and the Entombed Warriors. The beauty of the Yangtze River and then the huge Three Gorges Dam will astound and finally Shanghai, the modern miracle.
Price per Person in US Dollars
Standard Superior Deluxe
With questions and for further information please send an e-mail using our contact form.
- Entrance Fees: To scenic spots as listed in the itinerary.
- Meals: All meals as specified in the itinerary.
- Guide: As outlined in the itinerary an English-speaking guide and driver will be provided in each city, who will remain with you throughout your time in that city. A new guide and a new driver will meet you at each city on your tour, to provide you with the best local knowledge available.
- Hotels: Hotel fees are based on two people sharing one room with twin beds. All hotels as listed in the above itinerary serve daily western or Chinese breakfast. All rooms are air-conditioned with private facilities unless specified.
- Private Transfers: Transfers between airports, hotels and scenic spots while sightseeing in Guilin, Yangshuo by private air conditioned vehicle with a driver and English-speaking guide.
- Service Charge & Government Taxes:
- Insurance: The insurance is China Life Tourist Accident/Casualty Insurance.
- Luggage Transfers: Between airports and hotels.
- Arrangements: The tour cost includes planning, handling, operational and communication charges.
- International Airfare or Train Tickets to enter or leave China.
- China Entry Visa Fees.
- Excess Baggage Charges. Passengers holding an adult fare or half fare ticket are entitled to a free baggage allowance of 20kg, for economy class. Total weight of carryon baggage for each passenger may not exceed 5kg. The size may not exceed 20x40x 55cm.
- Personal Expenses: Expenses of a purely personal nature such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone calls, optional activities, sightseeing or meals.
Day 1: Arrive in Beijing
Your own personal guide will meet you right at the arrival hall of the airport. A comfortable vehicle and driver will be ready and waiting to take you to the hotel.
Hotels: Days Inn Forbidden City (***)/ Sunworld Hotel (****)/ Crowne Plaza (*****)
Day 2: Beijing (B/L/-)
After breakfast, first visit Tian`anmen Square and then get to China’s historical backbone of Forbidden City, where you can hear the echo of the ancient ages as you walk down the porch. After lunch, an old-style rickshaw will take you around the maze of narrow streets in Hutong. Then, try your hand at some traditional ancient Chinese folk games. Practice makes perfect!
Attractions: Tian`anmen Square, The Forbidden City, the Hutongs, Chinese Yoyo Experience, Lizexiang Pearl Store
Tian`anmen Square: Tian'anmen Square is the largest city square in the centre of Beijing, named after the Tiananmen (literally, Gate of Heavenly Peace) which sits to its north, separating it from the Forbidden City. It has great cultural significance as it was the site of several key events in Chinese history. As the world's largest city square and enduring symbol of China's national pride, it is surrounded by many imposing buildings including the Heavenly Gate (entry to the Forbidden City), Museums, government buildings and Chairman Mao's Mausoleum.
- The Forbidden City: The Forbidden City was home to 24 emperors between 1368 and 1911.This "city within a city" is a World Heritage Site, and is the largest and the best preserved ancient imperial architecture complex in the world, with great square, halls and gates contrast with intricate halls, gardens, courtyards and quarters. The exhibitions, both permanent and temporary, are all important treasures of ancient China.
- Hutong Tour in Xicheng District: Hutong is a maze of historic alleyways with old single storey traditional courtyard houses, which are now fast disappearing. In this one hour tour, you can hop on a rickshaw to ride through the narrow alleys as well as visit a local family then walk on the Silver Ingot Bridge (Yinding Bridge) and find out about the different thresholds of the courtyards.
Chinese Yoyo Experience: The Chinese Yoyo, also known as Diabolo, was created about one thousand year ago. Made of wood or bamboo, the Chinese Yoyo can be used by people of any age for play or moderate exercise. An experienced user can execute really fantastic tricks. Why not try your skill while visiting the Hutong.
What happens during the class?
1. Explanation of the history and function of the Chinese Yoyo.
2. Learn how to use the yoyo.
3. A display of the Diablo.
4. You can buy Chinese Yoyo as a souvenir if you are interested.
- Lizexiang Pearl Store : China's freshwater pearls are celebrated throughout the world. See how they are produced including some of the latest technology, and learn how to spot a fake. The outlet also offers a range of items produced from pearls and pearl oysters which goes far wider than jewellery. China Highlights customers will see the seeds being planted in the live mussel and also how learn how to differentiate real pearls from fake. This is a great opportunity to buy genuine pearls, that come with a guarantee, for your family and friends but there is absolutely no pressure to buy.
Hotels: Days Inn Forbidden City / Sunworld Hotel / Crowne Plaza
Day 3: Beijing (B/L/-)
First visit Temple of Heaven and practice Tai Chi under the guidance of your teacher. Temple of Heaven is a complex of Taoist buildings where emperors of Ming and Qing dynasties visited for annual ceremonies of pray for good harvests. After lunch, visit the Great Wall at Mutianyu, which is less crowed than other sections. A cable car takes you to a good section, where you can enjoy superb views as it snakes across the hills and mountains.
Attractions: Temple of Heaven, The Mutianyu Great Wall
Stand on 2,000 years of history and enjoy the panoramic mountain views around the Great Wall. A cable car ride is included to make it less ‘breathtaking’! Today your guide will introduce you to the rich history, beauty and reason for Beijing’s Temple of Heaven.
Temple of Heaven: Built in 1420 during the Ming Dynasty, Temple of Heaven is a complex of Taoist buildings where emperors of Ming and Qing dynasties visited for annual ceremonies of pray for good harvests. Located in the south of Central Beijing, it covers an area of 273 hectares. Temple of Heaven was enrolled as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1998.
- The Mutianyu Great Wall (with round way cable car): This less-crowded section of the Great Wall is a about 2.5 hours' drive from downtown Beijing. A cable car takes you to a good section (avoiding a very steep climb), where you can walk along the wall, through the watch towers and enjoy superb views as it snakes across the hills and mountains.
Hotels: Days Inn Forbidden City / Sunworld Hotel / Crowne Plaza
Day 4: Beijing, Fly to Xi‘an (B/L/-)
Take a leisurely walk in the enchanting royal garden to appreciate the masterpiece of Chinese landscape garden design at Summer Palace. Fly to Xi’an for more China tour highlights ahead. Check in upon arrival and have free time to relax.
Attractions: Summer Palace
- Summer Palace: Much-loved summer retreat of the Imperial families, the lovely landscaped gardens, halls, pavilions and corridors are set around the lake and rivers in natural harmony. It is the largest and best preserved imperial garden in China, and also a World Heritage Site.
Hotels: Xi'an Skytel Hotel (***)/ Grand Noble Hotel (****)/ Sofitel On Renmin Square (*****)
Day 5: Xi’an (B/L/-)
Start your morning with a Tai Chi session at the City Wall, following a local master’s introduction. Later, we will visit the famous Terracotta Warriors and Horses to see the history standing still. After lunch, visit one the best museums in China - Shaanxi History Museum, where our Xi`an tour guide would narrate the core of Chinese history.
Attractions: The Terracotta Warriors and Horses, Shaanxi History Museum, Tai Chi Experience at the City Wall, Xi`an Imperial Fine Arts center
The essence of Xi’an’ most famous attractions arranged perfectly into one day. It is a great feast of both ancient sights and cultural activities.
The Terracotta Warriors and Horses: Discovered accidentally in 1974, this incredible army of over 7000 soldiers, archers, horses and chariots in full battle array has guarded Emperor Qin's tomb since 210BC. Each figure is unique, and the painstaking repair and excavation continues in 3 pits which are protected inside huge hangars. 1.5 hours from Xi`an, there is also an excellent museum and film about the history of the vaults. Photos (no flash) are allowed. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Shaanxi History Museum: The history of Shaanxi is said to be the history of China, and this museum is quite simply one of the nation's best. Four major galleries in large, Tang-style buildings house a vast and impressive collection, beautifully displayed.
Tai Chi Experience at the City Wall : Tai Chi is an internal martial art system which places emphasis on the development and control of Chi (Consciousness) energy within the body. Learning Tai chi on the Ancient City Wall is a way of relaxing during your tour and also a way of experiencing a traditional Chinese pastime.
- Xi'an Imperial Fine Arts center: Xi'an Imperial Fine Arts mainly manufactures jade carvings and lacquer ware. Tourists can learn how the fine Chinese jade carved and the function of jade.
Hotels: Xi'an Skytel Hotel / Grand Noble Hotel / Sofitel On Renmin Square
Day 6: Xi'an, Fly to Chongqing (B/L/-)
After breakfast, we will head to Chongqing by air, check in upon arrival. Firstly, we will make a trip to Ciqikou Old Town. After lunch, we will go to the Three Gorges Museum to see the historic and hydrologic display.
Say goodbye to Xi’an and embrace a sunshine cruise starting from Chongqing, before boarding, take the chance to feel the charm of the mountain city.
Attractions: Ciqikou Ancient Town, Three Gorges Museum, Chongqing National Arts Institute Gallery
Ciqikou Old Town: This lively old area has been partly restored, and remains an authentic and busy community. The old wooden houses and narrow streets furthest from the river are mostly unimproved, closer to the river there are craft and souvenir shops, teahouses and music, and lots of local food and snacks. The locals certainly love their food – this is a good chance to try some.
- Three Gorges Museum: The best exhibits are those on the history of the Yangtze and, of course, the Dam. It also houses some excellent stone and terracotta sculptures, art and interesting artifacts, items from the war years, and temporary exhibitions. The museum faces the impressive People's Hall, built to resemble the Temple of Heaven, across a lively square, itself a hub of activity.
- Chongqing National Arts Institute Gallery: Located in the Chongqing People's Congress Hall, Chongqing National Arts Gallery showcases Chinese landscape paintings and oil-paintings. It has become a popular spot for foreign tourists looking for authentic, quality products.
Cruises: CH Victoria Cruise (****)/ President 1 (****)/ President Prime (*****)
Day 7: Yangtze Cruise (B/L/D)
After breakfast, climb up through the mist to the surreal atmosphere of the Ghost City in the mist. The surreal atmosphere is the best yet spoocky draw for China tours! Then join the cruise for a formal welcome banquet and optional party with great food and drinks. Enjoy yourself in the happy hour!
Attractions: Welcoming Banquet, Dancing Party, Shore excursion to Shibaozhai. Optinal tour to Fengdu Ghost City (RMB260 per person).
Climb up to the Ghost City in the mists. Do not let the eerie feel get the best of you! A formal welcoming banquet will surely light up your day.
--Shibaozhai, literally means Stone Treasure Fortress, Located in Zhong County, it was first built in Qing Dynasty in 1750. Shibaozhai is one historic site that will look much different in 2009. The wooden architecture stands on the riverside. It is built by catch upon a rectangular rock with sheer cliffs with a height of 56 meters and 12 stories. And every floor of the wooden structure contains interesting artifacts. Each of the 12 floors of Shibaozhai is dedicated to a famous general of the Three Kingdoms period (220-265AD), a local scholar or a renowned Chinese poet.
Cruises: CH Victoria Cruise / President 1 / President Prime
Day 8: Yangtze Cruise to Yichang (B/L/D)
Today you will take a small boat to navigate deep into the gorges. Doubtlessly, the perfect natural beauty makes the best setting for your China holiday. Enjoy it! By taking a smaller boat, you can get deeper into the gorges. Admire the strength and muscles your boat men show while pulling the boats through narrow beautiful gorges.
Attractions: Qutang Gorge, Wu Gorge, Shennong Stream
--Passes through the 1st gorge--Qutang Gorge.
Passes through the 2cd gorge---Wu Gorge.
Shore excursion to Shennong Stream. You have the option of visiting White Emperor City (RMB260 per person).
Sails through the 5-steps Ship locks.
Shennong Stream is another tributary of the Yangtze River, and its fast-flowing, crystal clear water runs southwards through deep gorges. The stream races past large and small karst caves, flocks of swallows, sheer cliffs, deep gorges, waterfalls, three-colored springs, rapids, the ancient plank path, a suspended coffin in the cliff, groups of ancient tombs and marvelous karst formations.
Cruises: CH Victoria Cruise / President 1 / President Prime
Day 9: Yichang, Fly to Shanghai (B/L/-)
When the cruise arrives in Yichang, you will have the chance to visit the Three Gorges Dam, the largest water containment project ever undertaken by man. In the afternoon, a flight will take you to Shanghai. Just in time to catch the neon lights lighting up. Capture the city’s glamour through your lens and feel up the city's pulse.
Attractions: Three Gorges Dam Site
Three Gorges Dam, the largest water conservancy project ever undertaken by man and it has been a dream for several generations of Chinese people. The construction of the dam formally began in 1994. The body of the dam was completed in 2003, and the whole construction has been completed in 2009. It will be 2,335 meters long, 185 meters high, 18 meters wide on the top and 130 meters wide at the bottom.The tourists can get access to the top of the dam and enjoy different kinds of photo opportunities.
Hotels: Kingtown Hotel Plaza Shanghai (***)/ The Bund Hotel (****)/ Radisson Shanghai New World (*****)
Day 10: Shanghai (B/L/-)
Start the day by visiting the Shanghai’s iconic Oriental Pearl TV Tower, the highest TV Tower in Asia. You’ll visit Shanghai’s old alleys & neighborhoods and experience the life of the Shanghainese. After lunch, take a relaxing walk to the ancient but charming Yuyuan Garden and followed by the Bund, a must-see colonial waterfront area of Shanghai.
Attractions: Oriental Pearl TV Tower, Yuyuan Garden, The Bund, A Short Visit to Shanghai Old Alleys, Tianhou Silk Factory
Let the old alleys turn back time, with dusty memories of daily lives past, nestled in a modern buzzing Shanghai. What do you see standing on top of the tower, a brand new Shanghai or an old one?
A Short Visit to Shanghai Old Alleys: Experience the real life of the Shanghainese. Find out how they think and what they do over an enjoyable tea and chat with locals in their home. Visiting the old alleys of Shanghai is a great way to discover the traditional culture of this city.
Oriental Pearl TV Tower: One of the tallest TV towers in the world, known for its distinctive spheres, or "pearls", it stands across the river from the Bund, among the exciting architecture of the east bank. The Shanghai History Museum is Located on the first floor of the Oriental TV Tower. There you can see the four major exhibition units reflecting Shanghai's history, modern and recent revolutionary history respectively.
- Yuyuan Garden: Yuyuan Garden is located in the center of Shanghai old quarters. It was a private garden built in 1559 during the Ming Dynasty, with typical Chinese classic architecture and style. The complex covers an area of 2 hectares, with rockeries, pavilions, ponds and corridors. Yuyuan Garden is surrounding by a busy market place, where visitors can find everything from popular local snacks, handicrafts, antiques and souvenirs to some famous time-honored restaurants.
- The Bund: This 1.5-kilometer-long embankment runs along the western bank of Huangpu River. On its west side it is the "architecture gallery" with 52 well-preserved old European style buildings. Once the major trading and commercial center of old Shanghai, the Bund has now taken on new vitality, with futuristic developments, chic restaurants, top end shops and bars offer plenty to see and do-and by night it's magic!
- Tianhou Silk Factory: Tianhou Silk Factory is a multi-function shopping mall containing silk traders, restaurants and heath care. It showcases Chinese silk products of all types including silk bedding and silk clothing. This is a popular place for looking for special, quality souvenirs.
Hotels: Kingtown Hotel Plaza Shanghai / The Bund Hotel / Radisson Shanghai New World
Day 11: Depart Shanghai (B/-/-)
Transfer to the airport ready for your departure. Wish you have a pleasant journey home and thank you for using China Highlights.
• Normally hotels allow a maximum of 3 adults per room with an extra bed, at extra charge.
• Tour price is indicative only, please inquire for a detailed quotation.
• More people more discounts.